Thursday, August 13, 2020

Getting Involved with THON

One of the most anticipated events of the year at Penn State is the 46-hour dance marathon we all love: THON! As you may know, THON is the largest student-run philanthropy in the world, and it is focused on raising money for families that are battling with childhood cancer. Being a Penn Stater means a lot of things, and one of those is participating in this wonderful event.

The most awesome thing about THON is that it is so easy to get involved, and there are endless ways in which you can help. Whether it is going to a food fundraiser or a simple school event, you can give back without even noticing it. You can participate in special orgs, greek life, clubs, and even through the THON organizing team itself. I was completely astounded by how much student involvement there is for this event, and I am here today to tell you all about my experience!

When I first arrived at Penn State, I had heard about THON but I wasn’t sure what it was exactly. I just knew that everyone loved it and encouraged me to get involved in it. One day, at a WEP Wednesday, Cheryl informed us of the THON committee application, and I immediately applied. I had no idea what I was getting myself into or how it even worked, but I knew in my gut I had to do it. I learned more about the process as it went by, and it is actually simpler than you may think! As a first-year student, you can get involved in a THON Committee. There are eleven committees that you can apply for: Communications, Donor and Alumni Relations, Dancer Relations, Entertainment, Finance, Hospitality, Merchandise, Operations, Public Relations, Rules and Regulations, and Special Events. Click here to learn more about what each committee does.

Since at first I had no idea what I was doing, I read brief descriptions of the committees and decided I wanted to apply for Merchandise. I am naturally a creative and artistic person, so I envisioned myself with bringing that asset of mine onto the committee. However, I was also open to anything they accepted me to––I was happy to learn and help with anything! The next step of the application process is an interview. Once you have submitted your application, a leader will send you an email to set up a time with you and get to know you better. Using the professional development skills I have learned through WEP, I prepared myself and went to my interview. It was something very casual but professional at the same time, and at that point I was already loving it.

When they finally announced the committees, it turned out I was placed in the Rules and Regulations committee. Even though I didn’t get into Merchandise, I was still so excited to be involved in it! Once you are placed in a main committee, you are then sorted out into smaller sub-committees. This is where the real fun begins. You meet with this team once a week to learn more about THON, the families, what you will be doing during THON weekend, and most importantly, you have a lot of fun! The people in your sub-committee will truly be some of the best people you will meet at Penn State. How incredible is that? Aside from helping run Penn State’s most philanthropic events, you are also making a lot of new friends and having a once-in-a-lifetime experience! 

As THON got closer, I learned about other ways in which you can get involved. If you don’t want to make the commitment of being in a committee but still would like to participate in THON, you can join an org! There are more than 400 student organizations at Penn State that are all geared towards fundraising for THON. Some orgs even nominate certain representatives to dance in the marathon! Here is a list of the many organizations that you can participate in at THON. The Society of Women Engineers has a THON organization and I highly recommend you to be a part of it! If you can’t find something that interests you, or you are simply passionate about something that isn’t on the list, you also have the opportunity to start your own org! It is a big challenge to take on, but there are endless resources at Penn State that will help you do so. There are infinite ways you can get involved in THON, so click here to learn more!

I have said it enough, but I will say it again: get involved in THON! It is such an amazing experience and it is something you will never regret. Every time I remember myself at the Bryce Jordan Center during THON weekend, simply taking in the excitement and love around me, my eyes fill with tears. The feeling is so rewarding, and it is definitely something every Penn Stater should experience! 

Arantza Ruiz

Team M Envoy

No comments:

Post a Comment