Thursday, August 13, 2020

Major Specific Clubs

One of the best things about Penn State is all of the options that you have. This is true for almost everything on the campus. This is especially true for extra curricular activities. There are so many different options it can be a bit overwhelming. That is why I wanted to take it slow and talk to you about major specific clubs.

I consider myself so very lucky to be in the college of engineering here at Penn State. The resources that we have at our disposal are unmatched. Whether it be the study groups with WEP or the Build Nights at the Learning factory. There is so much the college has to offer. One of my greatest helps during my first semester at Penn State was getting involved in these offerings. One of the best offerings would be the major specific clubs. 

In my first semester I was an active member of the association of women in computing. Through this club I was able to strengthen connections with other women in my major as well as meet upperclassmen who were willing and eager to help. It is reassuring to meet someone who was recently in your shoes (college freshman) and now is graduating with a great career in their field. If they can do it so can you! 


There are also way more clubs than just AWC. There is more broad engineering in general specific clubs. The best example of this is the Society of Women Engineers. This organization is for all women in an engineering major. Through this club, there are many different networking, outreach, service and social events as well as a THON organization. This club allows you to meet other women like you! The best thing about these clubs is all of the women in them are going through the same things. It is easy to find people to study with in these organizations. Many of the faces may be familiar from your classes as well.  There are opportunities to be part of more outreach and recruiting. This can be found in the form of Engineering Ambassadors. During my second semester I was lucky enough to be selected to be an Engineering Ambassador. In this position, I am seen as one of the leaders in the college of engineering. We focus on doing outreach and on giving tours for prospective students. Outreach can be done in many different ways; whether it be done in person or via zoom. 

I feel so lucky to be a student at Penn State just because of all of the opportunities that it has given me. One of the most important of which was becoming involved with major specific clubs on campus. I hope to see some of you ladies at meetings later this year!!!


Julia Jablonski
Team M Envoy


No comments:

Post a Comment