Thursday, July 20, 2017

Leading your Way to Engineering

You might think surviving engineering is all about hitting the books. When you think of a successful engineering student, maybe you picture someone who never leaves the library. And perhaps you’re under the impression that being an engineering student means you shouldn’t get involved outside the classroom; extracurriculars are just diversions from schoolwork, right?

Image result for studying in room meme

Well, you’d be wrong. Succeeding as an engineering student involves more than just good grades. Although GPA is crucial when applying to internships and for entrance into a major, employers look for more than just a number in potential candidates. Companies want to hire students who have taken initiative, demonstrated passion, and emerged as leaders, especially among the large student body at Penn State. Taking advantage of leadership opportunities will not only distinguish you from the crowd but also refine skills that will serve you on the job. More than that, leadership may even allow you to pursue lifelong passions and discover new ones, all while serving others.
Image result for leader memes
When I came to Penn State, I planned to take a traditional path to a traditional leadership role: I’d join a club my first year, assume some responsibility in the club during sophomore year, serve on the board my junior year, and maybe even become president during senior year. However, once at Penn State, this plan didn’t pan out quite as I had anticipated. I didn’t find my niche in any particular club; instead, I found my home in the Women in Engineering Program. Not only did it provide a home, but WEP also offered me the opportunity to serve its members in a non-traditional leadership role.

During my first year, I fell in love with WEP at WEP Wednesdays and Facilitated Study Groups. I developed a great appreciation for its mission – to retain women in engineering and set Penn State women engineers on a path to success. During sophomore year, I found myself wanting to contribute to this mission. So, I became a Facilitated Study Group leader in a course I had taken and loved, Physics 212. Helping women succeed in this entrance-to-major course (one that has a formidable reputation at Penn State) was a big responsibility, but ultimately it shaped me into a leader and introduced me to a great group of women, many of whom I’m still friends with today. Throughout my two semesters of facilitating, I grew in confidence as I stood in front of a classroom of women relying on me. This confidence has served me well at my internship, empowering me to speak up at team meetings (which consist of several full-time employees, all of whom are male!). In addition, facilitating Physics 212 study groups enabled me to pursue my passion for the subject matter. I found myself deepening my knowledge through teaching, as well as having fun as I shared my problem-solving strategies with my students.

When you get to Penn State, keep an open mind to all the opportunities available to you. Becoming a study group leader was never on my radar prior to starting college, yet it’s become a foundational aspect of my college experience. If you embrace interesting opportunities and stay alert to your passions, you’ll end up finding your home at Penn State – a home in which you can emerge as a leader and distinguish yourself as a successful engineer.

By: Erica Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment