Friday, July 28, 2017

What’s In My Backpack?



So it’s the Sunday after WEPO, and you’ve finally moved into your dorm! Your parents are gone! You’ve made a couple new friends! You’re starting to feel like you’re getting the hang of this “college” thing… when you remember that classes start tomorrow. YIKES.

Have no fear! WEPO has already given you a great head start, and with the support of your WEPO team and all your new friends, you’re totally going to rock this!

On the night before my first day of classes at Penn State, my roommate and I spent the evening picking out our outfits, planning to go to breakfast the next morning, and packing our backpacks. It helped us both relax and feel prepared for the morning, and I totally recommend you spend some time doing this too!

After two years at Penn State, the contents of my backpack have definitely grown. My friends joke that my backpack is like Hermione’s magical bottomless bag, and I have to admit, sometimes they’re right. But it’s very rare that I’m caught miles from my room without that one really important thing I need right now, so I think it’s worth it.

Here’s everything I keep in my backpack! I hope you find some helpful ideas for yours. :)



In the main compartment of my backpack, I keep:
  • Laptop
  • Charger – I only bring this if I know I won’t be home for a while.
  • Notebooks
  • Agenda book
  • Clif bar – Snacks are a lifesaver, especially during the first few days when you aren’t sure how long you’ll have between classes to grab food!

In the smaller middle compartment, I always have:
  • iClicker – Always keep your clicker in your backpack! You’ll never be caught unprepared for an in-class quiz.
  • Headphones
  • Pencil bag
  • Calculator
  • Flash drive
  • Travel size Advil
  • Hand sanitizer – Get in the habit of frequently using this! With tens of thousands of students, flu season is no joke at Penn State.
  • Tissue pack
  • Travel size deodorant – There’s nothing worse than being that fragrant kid in the middle of the lecture hall.
  • Small hairbrush
  • Small bag with feminine products

In the smallest front pocket, I keep these things so they’re easy to grab:
  • Phone
  • Keys & ID
  • Chapstick
  • Sunglasses

And in the side pockets, I never leave my dorm without:
  • Water bottle – Get a reusable one to refill around campus. You’ll save some cash and the environment!
  • Umbrella – If there is one thing you take away from this blog post, it is that you should ALWAYS have an umbrella at Penn State. Trust me.


By: Kahley McBeth

No comments:

Post a Comment